Social Security Application Assistance

Adult (18 to 65) that are homeless or at-risk of homelessness that also have or will soon get a diagnosis of a mental or physical condition that will prevent them from working for 12 months or longer are a priority to receive assistance applying for Social Security benefits. 

Adult (18 to 65), not currently homeless or at-risk of homelessness, who have a disability that prevents them from working for 12 months or longer and are receiving at least one of the following state programs may also receive assistance applying for Social Security benefits depending on staff availability: 

  • • General Assistance
  • • Housing Support (formerly known as Group Residential Housing (GRH))
  • • Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP)
  • • Diversionary Work Program (DWP)
  • • Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA)
  • • Title IV-E Foster Care

Depending on staff availability, assistance may also be provided to current SSI and/or SSDI recipients to maintain their SSI and/or SSDI benefits when Social Security requires a Continuing Disability Review or the you have received a termination of benefits letter. 

Additional resources:

Other agencies, listed by county, that may be able to help with your application

To apply for Social Security yourself
Contact the Community Services Department for more information or to request Social Security benefit application assistance.